"H-2A" is NOT the Answer
Supporters of an E-Verify mandate point to the H-2A program which allows 60,000 "seasonal workers" annually to American farms -- but, that's only 2 to 3% of farm employer demand. H-2A is plagued by arbitrary delays and bureaucratic snafus.
Let's be smart and design a true solution: a coordinated agricultural worker program that provides skilled farm workers with an agricultural visa, and a better system for future workers.
A TRUE SOLUTION
- Preserves a reliable and highly-skilled future farm worker force
- Enacts provisions alongside E-Verify that respect the contribution of farm workers employed on America's farms
- Ensures we keep all of America's 2.2 million farms alive and open for production
- Maintains our strong farm worker force of 1.6 million
- Does not disrupt our nation's economic recovery and ensures agriculture remains a critical part of the American economy
- Preserves the livelihood and stability of countless communities, families, and businesses that rely heavily on the U.S. farm industry
- Prevents our precious independent domestic food production from being outsourced to foreign countries.
- Ensures our communities have access to a healthy and abundant food supply